Lietuva and Latvija: we rule! International project(s)

I Mardë Maltava: the place where cultures meet (international affairs).
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Žinutė
Autorius
Elfhild
Nazgūlė
PranešimaiCOLON 1921
UžsiregistravoCOLON 01 Kov 2004, 15:55
MiestasCOLON agūp ilautriv
CONTACTCOLON

#81 Standartinė Elfhild » 10 Vas 2005, 21:47

Prop 2nd, Op2nd (also 3rd, 4th…)
Aims: Backing up previously outlined arguments. Rebutting opposing teams arguments. Introducing new arguments. Only two rebuttals allowed in one team’s post. Opponent’s rebuttals can be rebutted.

Question. Two rebuttals are allowed, but then, is the rebuttal of your opponent's rebuttal included in that number? Or is it additional?

Mostly, considering that I've been disagreeing a lot, this looks quite satisfactory to me, which means that I'll agree with these rules ;)
Hrrrr

Vartotojo avataras
Starlin
preciousss
PranešimaiCOLON 7148
UžsiregistravoCOLON 28 Vas 2004, 12:48
MiestasCOLON London
CONTACTCOLON

#82 Standartinė Starlin » 10 Vas 2005, 21:53

I think that the limit of two rebuttals should include the rebuttals' rebuttals. They are rebuttals in any case :mrgreen: Anyway, the point is that each team member has got a right to as many arguments as he/she may squeeze within his word limit plus squeezing in 0-2 rebuttals, whether on the main arguments of their opponents or on rebuttals.

EDIT: typo

Agronoms
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 6
UžsiregistravoCOLON 09 Vas 2005, 19:09

#83 Standartinė Agronoms » 10 Vas 2005, 22:48

Question -

if I write something like this in the second or third post:

"as about our first argument, the opposing team said that (here comes what they have said as a rebuttal to our first argument) but that is not relevent for Tolkien says in (the referene) that (here comes quote) and it shows that (here comes the reasoning)"

is it counted as a rebuttal?

Elfhild
Nazgūlė
PranešimaiCOLON 1921
CONTACTCOLON

#84 Standartinė Elfhild » 10 Vas 2005, 23:43

IMO, that's just what a rebuttal is - providing evidence that a statement made by your opponent is not true. however, you might want to elaborate and expand that with more quotes and more proofs, so that it is really convincing. (i mean, I would use at least two different quotes from different sources in order to make the rebuttal more effective. IF I can find them.)
Hrrrr

Agronoms
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 6
UžsiregistravoCOLON 09 Vas 2005, 19:09

#85 Standartinė Agronoms » 11 Vas 2005, 00:07

And if I say:

"as about OUR first argument, opposing team said that (whatever they said) but OUR argument nevertheless holds true because Tolkien (same referrence) said that (same quote) which shows that (same reasoning)"

And if it is still rebuttal then what about the following -

"as about OUR first argument, some people might try to say that (opponent' s rebuttal in different wording) but but that doesn't affect OUR argument because Tolkien (same referrence) said that (same quote) which shows that (same reasoning)"

a rebuttal or reinforcement?

Vartotojo avataras
Starlin
preciousss
PranešimaiCOLON 7148
MiestasCOLON London
CONTACTCOLON

#86 Standartinė Starlin » 11 Vas 2005, 18:41

I am prone to take both those cases for rebuttals. It doesn't matter, whether you reword the rebuttal of your opponent or leave it intact, it's still a rebuttal, albeit if it is not separated from your reinforcements (main argument), you may lose points for not organizing your post (under the current rules).

BTW, just for reference: the version I posted above is not the 'newbie-version' I was talking about in the first place. If the debates work well, we may write a sort of glossary or 'newbie-version' for those who might want to join us in the future, I mean explaining all the terms carefully.

Vartotojo avataras
Nulukkizdin
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 32
UžsiregistravoCOLON 02 Vas 2005, 20:55
MiestasCOLON Rīga
CONTACTCOLON

#87 Standartinė Nulukkizdin » 11 Vas 2005, 19:50

Just wanted to say that i generaly agree with the rules Starlin presented..

However, i wanted to clarify some things..

1) Are we going to debate 3vs3 or 4vs4?? My suggestion - first debate should be 3vs3

2) Are we going to make 2000 word limit to whole post or are we going to seperate word limit for main arguments and limit for rebuttals? My suggestion - we shouldn't separate..

3) Are we going to have one or two judges? If two, then who will be the second?

Vartotojo avataras
Starlin
preciousss
PranešimaiCOLON 7148
MiestasCOLON London
CONTACTCOLON

#88 Standartinė Starlin » 11 Vas 2005, 21:02

1) If you say 3v3, let it be. We can debate 4v4, but if you can't, it's ok.
2) I agree with you.
3) I think that now we have one judge. That should be enough. But... Maybe he should appear here at least once?

Elfhild
Nazgūlė
PranešimaiCOLON 1921
CONTACTCOLON

#89 Standartinė Elfhild » 11 Vas 2005, 21:14

1) I think it depends on how many people we have. how many latvians are there? we have enough lithuanians for a 4v4... Maybe it would be better to have a 4v4 so that more new debaters can try this? It doesn't matter much, though. I agree with both.

2) I agree. I don't see any point in seperating, that would be way too strict...

3) If we can get two, we can have two. If we can't, I don't think having only one would be a problem... don't have any ideas though.
Hrrrr

Vartotojo avataras
Nulukkizdin
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 32
MiestasCOLON Rīga
CONTACTCOLON

#90 Standartinė Nulukkizdin » 11 Vas 2005, 21:41

1)Let it be 3v3 for the first debate.. There are enough people for 4v4, but most of them are willing simply to watch first debate and clarify everything about its structure and other things..

2)agreed then

3)Ok. One judge is enough.. Still we need him to come and post something so that we can see that he agree with everything..

So i think, we have finaly came to conclusion.. :) what do you think?

Elfhild
Nazgūlė
PranešimaiCOLON 1921
CONTACTCOLON

#91 Standartinė Elfhild » 11 Vas 2005, 21:59

Nulukkizdin rašėColonSo i think, we have finaly came to conclusion.. :) what do you think?

Oh yes, we have, which is amazing :)
The last thing we need to do is to make everything clear with the judge... Did he really agree? Is anyone keeping in touch with him? We need him here!
We also need to set a date for the debate. And then we should have some time for practising within teams, before the debate starts. At least a week, but it would be better if we had two I think. We'll see.
Hrrrr

NW
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 1
UžsiregistravoCOLON 11 Vas 2005, 22:31

#92 Standartinė NW » 11 Vas 2005, 22:35

Dropped in to say HI :)
only ENGLISH please!!!!!!

Vartotojo avataras
Starlin
preciousss
PranešimaiCOLON 7148
MiestasCOLON London
CONTACTCOLON

#93 Standartinė Starlin » 11 Vas 2005, 22:42

Hi :)

Date: what about announcing the theme Feb 19, next Saturday, and starting the dbate Feb 26, the Saturday after the next? Of course, it depends on the judge...

Vartotojo avataras
Laiqualasse
Melkoras Morgotas Metraštininkas
PranešimaiCOLON 8362
UžsiregistravoCOLON 23 Kov 2004, 18:22
MiestasCOLON negyvenu, tai žalingas įprotis
CONTACTCOLON

#94 Standartinė Laiqualasse » 11 Vas 2005, 22:49

I agree, although I would prefer to move both deadlines one day later, i.e. Feb 20 and Feb 27. But that doesn't matter a lot, does it?
And the strings crescendo like the sunrise in the sky
The percussion section thunders like the storm clouds in their wonder up on high
The brass is roaring like the mighty ocean’s tide
Creation is music, and music is creation

Nai i cala Eruo siluva tielyasse...

Elfhild
Nazgūlė
PranešimaiCOLON 1921
CONTACTCOLON

#95 Standartinė Elfhild » 11 Vas 2005, 22:50

No it doesn't ;)
And we really need to talk to the judge because it also depends on when he has time to judge.
Hrrrr

Vartotojo avataras
Nulukkizdin
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 32
MiestasCOLON Rīga
CONTACTCOLON

#96 Standartinė Nulukkizdin » 12 Vas 2005, 10:53

Dates seems fine to me.. but i would really want to hear judge's opinion..

Vartotojo avataras
Nulukkizdin
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 32
MiestasCOLON Rīga
CONTACTCOLON

#97 Standartinė Nulukkizdin » 12 Vas 2005, 22:24

Just wanted to add that i talked to judge and he said that he will post something here as soon as he can.. ;)

And one more thing - what about minus points in the case of surpassing word limit or delay of posts?

Vartotojo avataras
Starlin
preciousss
PranešimaiCOLON 7148
MiestasCOLON London
CONTACTCOLON

#98 Standartinė Starlin » 16 Vas 2005, 17:15

Actually, that's why I'd like our judge to appear here before he posts the topic. The judging points I included in the rules may not really be the best ones. We need someone with authority to tell us. The minus points question should also be incuded in the rules.

YaWorm
Matė Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 56
UžsiregistravoCOLON 06 Vas 2005, 14:41
MiestasCOLON Tower of Orthanc, 45 aukstas, 9 kambarys
CONTACTCOLON

#99 Standartinė YaWorm » 17 Vas 2005, 00:02

I've spoken to Elk today and he said he'll post here as soon as he's free. I will try to send him the rules also (I think it could be better than waiting till he gets here).

<Timeloop Edit> Elk has some probs with his computer and he is not sure when it will be fixed. Until then he may not be able to judge. One more time he asks us to find another judge. I have sent an e-mail to another Plaza judge and she agrees to help if Elk can't. Is it OK with you?

Vartotojo avataras
Nulukkizdin
Girdėjo apie Žiedą
PranešimaiCOLON 32
MiestasCOLON Rīga
CONTACTCOLON

#100 Standartinė Nulukkizdin » 17 Vas 2005, 11:30

There are absolutely no problems.. just call her! ;)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY